guix-devel

Xmonad and ghc-xmonad-contrib

From: Paul van der Walt
Subject: Xmonad and ghc-xmonad-contrib
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 15:29:28 +0100

Hello Guix,

I'm writing to ask how to configure Xmonad on GuixSD.  I've got GuixSD
(version 0.9.0 ^^) installed and working in a VM, so that's cool.  I've
also got the following in my config.scm:

(packages (cons* xfce
                 nss-certs  ; for HTTPS access
                 xmobar     ; added in my local git-checkout of Guix
                 openssh
                 ghc
                 xmonad
                 ghc-network
                 ghc-xmonad-contrib
                 %base-packages))

This is nice, because at the login screen i can select xmonad as my
window manager.  However, it cannot compile my ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs file,
since (among many others) it gives the following error:

xmonad.hs:35:8:
        Could not find module `XMonad.Layout.NoBorders'
        Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

Et cetera.  I think this is because of the fact that ghc-xmonad-contrib
isn't properly made available.  See the output of `ghc-pkg list` run as
my normal user:

/gnu/store/1iwl222h2qw80fyr578sdjdki0pbcjm0-ghc-7.10.2/lib/ghc-7.10.2/package.conf.d:
    Cabal-1.22.4.0
    array-0.5.1.0
    base-4.8.1.0
    bin-package-db-0.0.0.0
    binary-0.7.5.0
    rts-1.0
    bytestring-0.10.6.0
    containers-0.5.6.2
    deepseq-1.4.1.1
    directory-1.2.2.0
    filepath-1.4.0.0
    (ghc-7.10.2)
    ghc-prim-0.4.0.0
    haskeline-0.7.2.1
    hoopl-3.10.0.2
    hpc-0.6.0.2
    integer-gmp-1.0.0.0
    pretty-1.1.2.0
    process-1.2.3.0
    template-haskell-2.10.0.0
    terminfo-0.4.0.1
    time-1.5.0.1
    transformers-0.4.2.0
    unix-2.7.1.0
    xhtml-3000.2.1

Notably, the glaring omissions are `network` and `xmonad-contrib`.  Does
anyone actually use Xmonad, and if so, how did they make it work?  In my
local Guix-git repository i also tried making all the Xmonad inputs
propagated but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas?  Does this mean that the package.conf.d creation is
completely broken?  Note that if i do `guix package -i ghc-network`,
that doesn't influence the output of `ghc-pkg list` at all...

Sorry to be a party pooper!

Ciao,
p.