guix-devel

Re: Internship

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Re: Internship
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 16:12:43 +0100

Hello!

Thank you for your reply.

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hi!
>
> Roel Janssen <address@hidden> skribis:

>> You’d need to find a project that goes from design to implementation.
> That sounds a bit like a GSoC project in scope, so you might want to
> look at ideas that were previously discussed.  For example, it could be
> a UI for the GuixSD installation process, say using guile-ncurses.

I think the "easiest" way to go about is going from analyzing a software
system to designing a new component in the system to implementing the
design. I guess its scope is pretty much like a GSoC project.

> It would be best if you could familiarize yourself with Guix{,SD} and
> the associated tools and APIs.  Maybe ideas would naturally pop up as a
> result of frustration or enthusiasm.  ;-)

I am in this process. I want to add a package to Guix pretty soon. I've
run into some problems with the combination Fedora + Guix, so I still
have to get a working Guix setup before I can test my package expression.

> Once that is defined, we could probably find a mentor, preferably not me.
>
> WDYT?

I received an interesting opportunity from Pjotr Prins, which is about
reproducible bioinformatics pipelines. I'm in the process of formulating
an assignment proposal.