guix-devel

Re: Running an MTA (Exim) on GuixSD

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Running an MTA (Exim) on GuixSD
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 14:41:22 -0500

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm using GuixSD 0.9.0. It seems the only Mail Tranfer Agent (MTA)
> packaged so far is Exim. However, simply installing it doesn't seem to
> enable the sending of email (e.g., via 'git send-email'). I'd like to
> run Exim as a daemon on system start-up so that I can send email from
> within GuixSD. Has anyone already made a service configuration for
> Exim in GuixSD? Is anyone currently using Exim on GuixSD as an MTA at
> all?

Not that I know of, but it would be good to have.

> If not, I'd be interested in helping to make it happen.

That would be great :)

> I'm just not familiar with running Exim or writing service
> configurations for GuixSD, so some pointers on how to start would be
> very welcome! I can probably figure the rest out as I go.

Section 7.2.14 (Defining Services) in the Guix manual is the relevant
reference.

I guess the two existing services that are most similar to what would be
needed for an exim-service are 'nginx-service' in gnu/services/web.scm
and 'postgresql-service' in gnu/services/databases.scm, so I would look
there for inspiration.

Feel free to ask more questions as they arise.

     Thanks!
       Mark