guix-devel

Re: Adding build status to the package list table

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Re: Adding build status to the package list table
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 23:47:47 +0100

Eric Bavier writes:

> On 2015-11-19 13:57, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> Roel Janssen <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> The list of packages included in Guix [1] provides links to the build
>>> status of each package in the details.  I would like to provide this
>>> information in a column after "Package details", either as an icon or
>>> as
>>> a count (e.g. 3/4 builds succeeded).  This provides a nicer overview
>>> for
>>> the current status of the package.
>>
>> Sounds good to me, but I'm not sure that either a single icon or a
>> count
>> will be very useful.
>>
>> We currently support four architectures: x86_64-linux, i686-linux,
>> armhf-linux, and mips64el-linux.  There will likely be a fifth for the
>> Hurd as well.
>>
>> If the status is to be useful, users will need to see at a glance if
>> the
>> package builds on their chosen architecture.  A count like 2/4 or 3/4
>> doesn't tell me whether the package works on armhf.
>>
>> So, I think we'd actually need one new column for each supported
>> architecture.  I could imagine more clever solutions as well, but
>> somehow it needs to indicate *which* architectures the package builds
>> on, not just how many.
>
> I agree.
>
> Could we add a small icon in the expanded view next to the current links
> that indicate pass/fail for that architecture?  This could possibly in
> addition to the summary count in the collapsed view.

I think that would be a good idea. Adding icons per architecture next to
the current links in the expanded view.

Then have one column with an indicator for overall success or
failure. Whether this is a count or an icon, I don't know which would be
better. I think visually, an icon would be better. A count would be a
little more informing.

Having four (and in the future five) columns, each with an icon, would
be too much I think.