guix-devel

Re: Reproducible builds: a means to an end

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Reproducible builds: a means to an end
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 11:41:33 +0100

Alex Vong <address@hidden> skribis:

> On 20/11/2015, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Alex Vong <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> Beside the technical side, I think it is also a conceptual problem. If
>>> we were to add the `determinism` tag globally, then all of the GNU
>>> projects using <debbugs.debian.org> will be able to use this new tag.
>>> I am conservative towards this, and would rather make the
>>> `determinism` tag be the usertag of address@hidden
>>
>> If it’s a user tag of address@hidden, does that mean that it would
>> automatically show up on bugs.gnu.org/guix, even when not explicitly
>> specifying a user?  Would M-x debbugs show it too?  :-)
>>
> For the web interface, I think no. You will need to pass the
> `users=foo` parameter to let it show up.. Otherwise,  the website
> interface could become very messy, if everyone adds him/her favourite
> tag.
>
> For emacs-debbugs, I think yes! When you type `M-x
> debbugs-gnu-usertags`, you get a list of usertags used by the user
> with name "emacs", so apparently emacs is using usertags! To list
> usertag for a specific user (take "address@hidden" as an
> example), the debbugs info page suggests to evaluate the elisp
> function `(debbugs-gnu-usertags "address@hidden")` and it
> works.

So, what about adding this user tag for user “guix,” and then
recommending using this user?

I tried C-u M-x debbugs-gnu and passing it the “tagged” severity, as
suggested in debbugs.el, and then the “determinism” user tag, but that
fails as of debbugs 0.7:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Unknown key: :status")
  signal(error ("Unknown key: :status"))
  error("Unknown key: %s" :status)
  debbugs-get-usertag(:tag "determinism" :status "forwarded" :status "open"
:user "guix" :severity "normal" :severity "important" :severity "serious")
  apply(debbugs-get-usertag (:tag "determinism" :status "forwarded" :status
"open" :user "guix" :severity "normal" :severity "important" :severity
"serious"))
  debbugs-gnu-get-bugs(((tag . "determinism") (status . "forwarded") (status .
"open") (package . "guix") (severity . "tagged") (severity . "normal")
(severity . "important") (severity . "serious")))
  debbugs-gnu(("serious" "important" "normal" "tagged") ("guix") nil t
("determinism"))
  call-interactively(debbugs-gnu record nil)
  command-execute(debbugs-gnu record)
  execute-extended-command((4) "debbugs-gnu")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

Am I missing something?

Ludo’.