guix-devel

Re: Adding build status to the package list table

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Re: Adding build status to the package list table
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 16:21:55 +0100

Mark H Weaver writes:

> Roel Janssen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Eric Bavier writes:

>>> I agree.
>>>
>>> Could we add a small icon in the expanded view next to the current links
>>> that indicate pass/fail for that architecture?  This could possibly in
>>> addition to the summary count in the collapsed view.
>>
>> I think that would be a good idea. Adding icons per architecture next to
>> the current links in the expanded view.
>>
>> Then have one column with an indicator for overall success or
>> failure.
>
> What does "overall success or failure" mean?  If a package builds
> successfully on i686 and armhf, and fails on x86_64 and mips64el, does
> that count as an "overall success" or an "overall failure"?

Initially, I was thinking:
When a package has been successfully built on 4/4 architectures, that
would be "success". When a build fails on some architecture, that would
indicate "failure".

That is, if all architectures are treated equally important to Guix.

So in your example, that would count as an "overall failure".

Instead we could use a percentage, in your example that would be 2/4 =
50%. That would still be useless to someone who wants to know whether
the package builds on a specific platform. He could then look in the
detailed view to find that out.

>> Whether this is a count or an icon, I don't know which would be
>> better. I think visually, an icon would be better. A count would be a
>> little more informing.
>>
>> Having four (and in the future five) columns, each with an icon, would
>> be too much I think.
>
> I'm sorry if it seems like too much, but for the reasons I gave above, a
> count or boolean is essentially useless, because it doesn't tell people
> whether it works on their architecture of interest.

You're right. But if you're interested in a single architecture, you
would ideally want to see a single icon as well (that of your
architecture).