guix-devel

Re: How to use Guix.el from Git?

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: How to use Guix.el from Git?
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 00:05:09 +0300

Mathieu Lirzin (2015-11-22 21:20 +0300) wrote:

[...]
> guix-load-path is a variable defined in `guix-backend.el'.
> Its value is "~/src/gnu/guix/emacs"
>

>> Also just in case, show the value of `guix-helper-file' variable.
>

> guix-helper-file is a variable defined in `guix-backend.el'.
> Its value is "/home/mthl/src/gnu/guix/emacs/guix-helper.scm"
>
> These two variables helped me figure out that the problem was the use of
> “~” in:
>
>   (let ((dir "~/src/gnu/guix/emacs"))

Ouch, my bad, sorry.  Yes, IIUC Guile %load-path should contain absolute
directories, and as Geiser does not expand the contents of
`geiser-guile-load-path', this "~/..." string literally goes to
%load-path.

> When changing it with “/home/mthl” it works!  To avoid this kind of
> mistake in the future, a simple fix would be to change the example in
> the documentation, with:
>
>   (let ((dir "/absolute/path/to/your-guix-git-tree/emacs"))
>
> But is there a way to change the implementation to let users use
> relative path?

Yes, the fix is easy.  The patch is attached, could you confirm that it
works?

Thank you for finding the root of this bug!