guix-devel

Re: Contributor covenant

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Contributor covenant
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 16:49:40 +0100

> I don’t know about you, but I think this growing community here has
> always been very kind, welcoming, and helpful, IOW: awesome.

Indeed!  I’d like to say that this community is the best of any free
software project I’ve ever contributed to.  Thanks to everyone for
keeping it friendly, constructive, and welcoming!

> In commit e15fcdd, I added a ‘CODE-OF-CONDUCT’ file taken from
> <http://contributor-covenant.org/>, which is essentially a way of
> telling the lurkers out there: yes, we do our best to be welcoming and
> we’re committed to doing so, so join us!  The address@hidden
> address it mentions is currently an alias for address@hidden (though I’d
> like it to become more than just me!).

Thank your for this!

The code of conduct itself sounds good; but the sentence in the manual
is a little hard to read and a little meandering, in my opinion.

> +In the interest of welcoming everyone who thinks this is a great project
> +to contribute to---which it is, indeed!---contributors express their
> +commitment to providing a warm, friendly, and harassment-free experience
> +by agreeing to our ``Contributor Covenant'', adapted from
> address@hidden://contributor-covenant.org/}, and which can be found in the
> address@hidden file in the source tree.
> +

I find it hard to suggest better wording, but I think there’s a lot in
this sentence and it might be better to split it up or simplify it a
little.  Maybe splitting it into two sentences would be clearer?  E.g.:

> We welcome everyone to contribute to this project.  To maintain(?) a
> warm, friendly, and harassment-free experience, contributers agree to
> our ``Contributor Covenant'' (adapted from
> @url{http://contributor-covenant.org/}), which can be found in the
> @file{CODE-OF-CONDUCT} file in the source tree.

Admittedly it doesn’t have the charms of the original version, but I
find the latter somewhat clearer.  What do you think?

~~ Ricardo