guix-devel

Re: package dependencies

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: package dependencies
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 05:55:30 +0100

Hi Fabian,

It has been noted before that these are not well explained in the docs. I like
this

1. *native-inputs*: required for building but not runtime - installing a
   package through a substitute won't install these inputs
2. *inputs*: installed in the store but not in the profile, as well as being
   present at build time
3. *propagated-inputs*: installed in the store and in the profile, as
   well as being present at build time

(I proposed to update the docs at some point, in fact, but I realise
that some people may like the existing description better. Guile/Guix
are documented in a pretty consistent way).

You may also find information on https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/
to be useful. That is basically where I jot down stuff I otherwise
would forget.

Pj.