guix-devel

Re: Update mafft to 7.245.

From: Ben Woodcroft
Subject: Re: Update mafft to 7.245.
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 22:05:04 +1000

On 11/12/15 02:16, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
Ben Woodcroft <address@hidden> writes:

Two reviews in record time, nice.

On 10/11/15 23:12, Efraim Flashner wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 22:18:10 +1000
Ben Woodcroft <address@hidden> wrote:

Also had to fix the inputs. Hard not to notice these things in the
environment container - worked well thanks.
Do they need to be propagated inputs? Did you try them as native-inputs?
Often that's enough to take care of it.
The main program 'mafft' is actually a reasonably long shell script,
which itself calls awk, grep, perl, etc. collectively many times (>100 I
would guess). I think it is intended to be run where these programs are
available. I could do as Ricardo suggests and run substitute* but this
seems a bit error-prone and not very future-proof to me, especially when
the shell script is difficult to exhaustively test. WDYT?
I looked at the instances of “perl”, “awk”, and “grep” and they seem
manageable.  I didn’t test this but attached is a different version of
your patch that does what I suggested.  It might work.  Could you try to
confirm that it’s okay?

What do you think?
I think you are quite valiant. As I say, I cannot be confident in my testing (even those in the readme). The diff looked mostly fine by eye, but there was some issues near the end which mangled things somewhat (although maybe not the result, not sure). How's the attached? I upped version too. OK?

Thanks,
ben