guix-devel

Re: On being welcoming

From: Torbjörn Granlund
Subject: Re: On being welcoming
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 20:04:39 +0100

[To gmp-discuss readers: This started at gmp-bugs, first as a couple of
reports about assumed GMP bugs, then with the subject used here.]

  I think it is crucially important that you as a community recognize that
  this behavior is not acceptable.  There’s nothing personal in doing
  that; it’s the behavior that we should condemn, not the person.

Let's not exaggerate; sending sloppy bug reports might be considered as
disrespectful, but I wouldn't go so far as calling "this behavior"
"unacceptable".  We're making a mistake if we assume malice when we read
something we do not like.

Mike Mohr <address@hidden> writes:

  I have seen many examples of this type of conduct from him, both
  towards myself as well as others.  I am a software engineer who
  works in Silicon Valley, and I cannot imagine working with someone
  who is frequently abrasive and disparaging.  Such an individual
  would not last very long on my team.

We're all humans and I shall not exaggerate my critisism of sloppy bug
reports, and I shall not sink to making an ad hominem response.

[I'm going back to doing productive work now. I will not respond further
to this thread, but I respect that others might want to continue, and I
will read the contributions.  Please use gmp-discuss, the gmp-bugs list
is for bug reports.]

--
Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622