guix-devel

Re: Moving to beta? When?

From: Fabian Harfert
Subject: Re: Moving to beta? When?
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:41:41 +0100

Am Fri, 18 Dec 2015 19:40:29 -0600
schrieb Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden>:

> Hello all,
>
> Guix is super stable for me these days.  In a sense, more stable than
> any other system I've ever run.  We also are quickly moving to the
> point where *most* core packages people need are there.
>
> I think the Alpha label is too conservative.  Once gnome-shell lands,
> or once the next release comes out, what do people think about Beta?
>
> That still sounds like "not quite production ready for everyone" but
> Alpha hardly feels fair to Guix anymore.  (The most alpha thing about
> GuixSD thing at this point is the install process, and hey, it's like
> going oldschool with my install again.... :))
>
> Or, when to switch?
>  - Chris

I agree: Guix is not alpha software. It works perfect on my current
system and I don't need GNOME or KDE desktops. And I think guix
system init is enough as an installer. For me (I use GNU/Linux since
two years only) it was easy to follow the documentation, copy the
example config file, edit it and call 'guix init'. We just could provide
a script generating an input file for this and calling it at the end.
Apart from that there's no need to keep the alpha state for the next
release.