guix-devel

Re: GNOME on GuixSD

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: GNOME on GuixSD
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:28:28 +0800

Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 20:50:01 +0800
> address@hidden (宋文武) wrote:
>
>> With commit a4df575, we can get a minimal gnome-shell on GuixSD.
>>
>> Make sure you have elogind and upower-daemon services running,
>> and add the following packages:
>>
>>   adwaita-icon-theme, gnome-session, gnome-shell,
>>   gnome-control-center, gnome-settings-daemon, dbus
>>
>> to the packages field (to use with the silm login manager) or
>> user profile (then add 'exec gnome-session' to ~/.xsession).
>>
>> Please give suggestions :-)
>>

> Does this mean its time to create a gnome metapackage like XFCE has?
Yes, but some essential packages are still missing, eg: nautilus.

I think the metapackage should include all core GNOME packages as the
‘gnome-core’ from debian:

  https://packages.debian.org/jessie/gnome-core

Also, ludo mention that we can define %gnome-packages as a list instead of
a metapackage, it's more lightweight.  But a list can't be searched and
installed as a normal package by user, so I think a metapackage is
better.

Maybe people could even use GNOME from guix upon other distros?