guix-devel

Multiple versions

From: Dmitry Bogatov
Subject: Multiple versions
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 23:02:52 +0000 (UTC)

Hello!

In my attempt to understand Guix, get used to it and use
it's advantages, I got following considerations that I would like
to discuss with more experienced users:

  * Guix provides first-class support for multiple versions of packages.
    By first class I mean, that you don't need to do anything special
    to get this support, unlike Gentoo, which for example, supports
    multiple versions of Python and Ruby, but not Guile or GHC.

    But reading 'gnu/packages/haskell.scm' I see same, single-versioned
    packaging in style of Debian. Why? If we would provide package for
    every version of library 'foo' and every version of 'ghc', Guix
    would replace `haskell-stack' tool, and, eventually became The Ring
    to rule stack,virtualenv,bundler,...

    Or am I missing the point, and libraries are packaged only as long
    they are needed for some program?

  * By default, ~/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d is not in
    load-path. `emacs-no-x` exports no variables. So, if I install
    some emacs library, like `emacs-f`, evaluating (require 'f) in emacs
    fails. It is... unexpected. Is it intended behaviour?

--
Accept: text/plain, text/x-diff