guix-devel

Re: Emacs load path

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Emacs load path
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 12:02:09 +0300

Federico Beffa (2015-12-31 01:18 +0300) wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 7:55 PM, Alex Kost <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> A useful approach would be to fix the problem such that if a user
>>> installs emacs with guix the above steps happen automatically without
>>> any user intervention.
>>
>> Yeah, it would probably be a good default, but only if this default can
>> be changed.  I mean if I didn't install emacs packages with guix, I would
>> like to avoid loading an additional code for that.  In GuixSD I can do
>> it with "export EMACSLOADPATH=", so if our Emacs package will somehow
>> "automagically" look at "~/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/…"
>> directories, I want to have a way to disable this feature.
>
> I would mimic the emacs package system: The packages are loaded after
> change the variable ‘package-enable-at-startup’ to ‘nil’.

This is already mimic-ed: there is ‘guix-package-enable-at-startup’
variable for the same purpose.  But on GuixSD, (require 'guix-init) is
performed before user config is loaded, so as I said, you need to use
"export EMACSLOADPATH=" to prevent this additional stuff from loading.

BTW I heard (but didn't check) that in emacs 25.1, packages (installed
using emacs package system (package.el)) will be enabled before loading
the init file, so you can't avoid it if you wish.  If it is so (I should
better check before blaming), then it is an anti-feature for me.

--
Alex