guix-devel

Re: Emacs load path

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: Emacs load path
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 15:25:27 +0100

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 5:55 PM, Federico Beffa <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 5:29 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> If you install guix in the default prefix (/usr/local) you should find a
>>> file called 'guix.el' in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/.  With that
>>> you can include the following commands in your .emacs file and you
>>> should be all set:
>>>
>>> 1. (setq load-path (append '("/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/")
>>> load-path))
>>> 2. (require 'guix-init nil t)
>>>
>>> On some host distros step 1. may not even be needed.
>>
>> I don’t see how to make that happen automatically on foreign distros.
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> We still have the option of making it more prominent in the
>> documentation, for example by mentioning specifically Emacs under
>> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Application-Setup.html>.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> If we make an 'emacs-guix' package and make it an input to emacs it should
> work.

Attached is a proof of concept patch showing one way to do it.

If you don't want to add the full 'guix.el', then we should definitely
add code in a similar way to instruct emacs to look in the right
places (".../guix.d") for our emacs packages out of the box.  As
Dmitry rightfully points out, having emacs packages which do not work
out of the box is just a bug.

Regards,
Fede