guix-devel

Re: Interest in package for pfff?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Interest in package for pfff?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 14:21:09 +0100

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

> I just wrote a package for pfff. Should it go into Guix, and if so,
> what module should it belong in?  md5sum and shaxsum are part of
> coreutils. I am thinking pfff should go into gnu/packages/hash.scm.

I think “hash.scm” would be a good location.

> (define-public pfff
>   (package
>     (name "pfff")
>     (version "1.0")
>     (source (origin
>               (method url-fetch)
>               (uri (string-append
>                     "https://github.com/pfff/pfff/archive/v"; version
> ".tar.gz"))

We need “(file-name ...)” after the “(uri ...)” expression, because the
tarball is just called “v1.0.tar.gz”.

>               (sha256
>                (base32
>                 "00m553aa277iarxj6dalmklyb64r7ias49bfwzbacsfg8h3kar8m"))))
>     (build-system cmake-build-system)
>     (home-page "http://biit.cs.ut.ee/pfff/";)
>     (synopsis "Probabilistic fast file fingerprinting")
>     (description
>      "Calculate a probablistic fast finger print (pfff) which
                          ^--- an “i” is missing here.

[p]robabilistic [f]ast [f]inger [f]rint –> pfff ;)

The first sentence is a sentence fragment, but we want to have full
sentences in package descriptions.  It would probably suffice to just
prepend “This package provides tools to” to the proposed description.

I’d remove the “(pfff)” because it’s actually the abbreviation for
“probabilistic fast file fingerprinting” (as in the synopsis).

> functions as a compact digital fingerprint of a file by sampling
> randomly from the file instead of reading it in full.  Consequently,
> the computation has a flat performance characteristic, correlated with
> data variation rather than file size.")
>     (license license:bsd-3)))

Other than that it’s fine.  Could you please send a patch?  (You can use
“git format-patch -1” or similar to produce it from a commit.)

Thank you!

~~ Ricardo