guix-devel

Re: The art of guessing a packaged downgrade version of a package

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: The art of guessing a packaged downgrade version of a package
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 17:41:49 +0100

On 2016-01-01 22:09, Leo Famulari wrote:
On Fri, Jan 01, 2016 at 09:35:40PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
(trying to get gnupg to work knowing that ludo runs some 2.0 version)
~/src/guix$ guix package -i gnupg:2.0.0 -r gnupg
guix package: error: package `gnupg-2.1.10' lacks output `2.0.0'

Did you try `guix package -i gnupg-2.0.29`? That should put the 2.0
series gnupg in your profile. You can even specify just 'gnupg-2.0' and
Guix will pick the lastest available gnupg in the '2.0' series.

I would like to improve this command by making it either show me the valid outputs (and optionally choosing one of them to install) for this specific
package OR hint me about running:
guix package --show=gnupg

I see the value of hints, but never an interactive command as suggested
by a menu of valid outputs. Interactive commands break automation.

Okay. I added some hints to the error messages and will submit a patch soon.