guix-devel

Re: Guix website

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix website
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 15:17:01 +0100

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:

> Yes, I personally hate watching videos and listening to podcasts. I only
> do it when there is no transcript and I am on a long bus or train ride
> and can't concentrate on working. I personally found that video to be a
> very good explanation of the problems addressed by Guix and the
> solutions offered. As well as the newer video you mentioned.
>
> A transcript next to slides [0] can be read in less time than 45
> minutes. It can also be skimmed, searched, and anchor-linked.

I agree.  If someone volunteers to write transcripts of the available
videos, we could put them online (but obviously that’s quite a bit of
work!).

> A number of the ...unusual questions people have asked about Guix
> demonstrate a near total lack of knowledge about the project's goals and
> design. We need an overview like that provided by the videos. The manual
> is more of a "how-to".

The liberating, dependable, and hackable items on the front page link to
overviews in the manual, notably the “Features” node.  Maybe a good
start would be to improve them?

> I also liked some blog posts by Andy Wingo and Christopher Allan Webber,
> although those posts don't explain "the whole picture".

Agreed, blog posts like these and those of David and Ricardo are very
nice, because they show concrete use cases.

They’re also useful for someone knowledgeable about the project because
they clearly show parts that are confused, badly documented, or that
somehow fail to address the problems people are having.

I would invite the bloggers among us to do more of these.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.