guix-devel

Re: Adding tags to packages

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: Adding tags to packages
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 16:31:04 +0100

On 01/03/2016 04:04 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Maintaining tags means agreeing on a set of tags and adjusting it as we
> see fit, adding tags to existing packages, reviewing them for new
> packages, etc.

I can see why this might sound like a lot of work, but what if all
distros worked together on a common database? It's a problem all package
repositories have, after all, and there's no need to have multiple
people write tags for the same packages over and over.

The Free Software Directory could be used for that purpose, and tags
could be generated from its categories by using the MediaWiki API.

For this purpose, some works needs to be done on the FSD. For example:

https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Nethack

Nethack isn't really an adventure game, and "Game:roguelike" should also
be a category, but I think that this could work (and as a result of it,
the FSD would gain more contributions and exposure).