guix-devel

Re: Emacs load path

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: Emacs load path
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 14:21:54 +0100

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Alex Kost <address@hidden> wrote:
> Federico Beffa (2016-01-04 13:18 +0300) wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Alex Kost <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Federico Beffa (2016-01-01 19:53 +0300) wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Hm, OK, so your "proof of concept patch" will have the same problem.
>>> Could you please answer
>>> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-01/msg00021.html>, as
>>> I still don't understand how your suggestion can help Emacs to find
>>> packages in "guix.d" dirs of user profile.
>>
>> That's the easy part. Once we know how to load a minimal version of
>> your code, we add it to 'site-start.el'. Emacs automatically loads it.
>
> Ah, now I see what you mean, thanks!  And emacs can be started with
> "--no-site-file" so my concerns about avoiding this are fulfilled.  For
> simplicity, we can even add "site-start.el" to the guix repo I think.

Fine with me. I don't have preferences on this.

>>> Returning to 'guix-config' problem, we can make a "soft" dependency on
>>> 'guix-profiles' (see the attached patch), so the only file needed for
>>> finding emacs packages in "guix.d" will be "guix-emacs.el".  And the
>>> code that should be loaded by Emacs to find guix emacs packages will be:
>>>
>>> (when (require 'guix-emacs nil t)
>>>   (add-to-list 'load-path (guix-emacs-directory))
>>>   (guix-emacs-load-autoloads))
>>
>> I've done this, but it doesn't load as 'guix-config' is missing. I
>> guess it needs your patch which I didn't try.
>
> Yes, it meant to be used with the patch.
>
> So IIUC we need the following patches to make our Emacs find packages in
> a user profile:
>
> - patch for stripping "guix-emacs.el" from extra dependencies (attached
>   to the previous message);
>
> - patch for adding "site-start.el" (attached to this message);
>
> - modified version of your patch to copy "site-start.el" and
>   "guix-emacs.el" to the proper places.

If you want, feel free to modify and push my patch as needed. At the
moment your patches do not apply on my checkout (I'm behind master by
a few weeks). Otherwise, I will update and try to close this during
one of the next week-ends.

Thanks for the cooperation,
Fede