guix-devel

go package (was docker compose)

From: Jeff Mickey
Subject: go package (was docker compose)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 11:09:07 -0800

* "Thompson, David" <address@hidden> [2016-01-11 10:44]:
> I hear someone has a working Go package that hasn't been submitted
> yet, so maybe we'll have Docker itself available someday.  That will
> be interesting. :)

I've gotten excited a few times on IRC, but unfortunately every time I
run into weird libgcc_s issues with how go does it's linking (which is
really assembling post link).

Here are my current go-1.4.3 and go-1.5.3 packages:

https://github.com/codemac/guix-pkgs/blob/master/tmp/codemac/packages/go.scm

They still fail if you ever link against anything that dynamically links
against glibc. This means any go program that uses the net, os/user,
runtime or cgo packages fail to execute complaining they can't find
libgcc_s. I've tried just about everything imagineable, and it's unclear
to me how the nix gcc + glibc packages differ from the guix ones.

I'd love help / suggestions, I use golang at my day job so I'm motivated
to get this fixed. I have a pretty good idea of what the go package
system could look like for guix without us distributing PILES of
statically linked go poop as well, but that's a separate discussion.

  //  mickey