guix-devel

Debugging Guix packages?

From: Jookia
Subject: Debugging Guix packages?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 13:42:56 +1100

Hi there,

I've been hitting some bugs in Guix packages which I'm up for fixing, though
currently I'm finding it difficult to follow along the build process then
improvise with my own inspection. There's only two ways I know of to do this:

- Have the package fail and inspect it afterwards using guix environment.

This could work, but it isn't helpful if the package doesn't fail and I want to
try adding my own patches without doing a full rebuild that could fail.

- Read the package and roughly convert it to Bash commands.

I'm still not good at this. For instance, if I want to build coreutils with
some tweaks in the build process without modifying the package I'd have to
figure out how to patch shebangs from the command line and figure out how to do
this if I'm cross compiling.

It'd be a nice feature to have where I could step through the build process in
an environment close to the actual build and run build commands myself like
'patch' or 'make' or 'configure', but builders can also include Guile code.

Debugging the builder using Guile seems to be somewhat useful but I haven't
figured out how to do that as I'm not versed in Guile and this may not be the
right level of abstraction.

I apologize if my thoughts aren't clear, currently it's annoying to have to
decipher packages to hope I'm following along with the build. The alternative is
to iterate through full builds hoping I get the right output or manually failing
after a certain phase (I'm not sure how to do this.)

Cheers,
Jookia.