guix-devel

Re: Debugging Guix packages?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Debugging Guix packages?
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 21:55:32 +0100

Jookia <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:26:14PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Yes, I agree that this would be nice.
>
> I wonder how this could be implemented, any ideas?

Vague ideas.  :-)

Roughly, we could generate a Scheme file containing the list of phases
(the generated build script contains them, but it immediately passes
them to ‘gnu-build’ or similar), which could be loaded into Guile.  From
there we could explicitly manipulate the list of phases and run them.

There are complications though, such as the fact that build systems can
lack the notion of phases altogether (this is the case of
‘trivial-build-system’, but it may be the only one.)  I wonder if we
should move phases from the build side to the host side at some point…

Ludo’.