guix-devel

Re: Version numbers for VCS snapshots

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Version numbers for VCS snapshots
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 23:02:32 +0100

> +
> +It is a good idea to strip commit identifiers to, say, 7 digits so that
> +they do not become aesthetically disturbing (assuming aesthetics have a
> +role to play here.)  It is best to use the full commit identifiers in
> address@hidden, though, to avoid ambiguities.
> +

I would probably find this a little confusing if I didn’t already know
what you meant.  Where should commit identifiers be stripped?  Are there
more places than just the ‘version’ field?  Could we name the ‘version’
field as an example?

Is it only aesthetics or also a matter of keeping shebangs shorter (in
case the output provides an interpreter that could end up in a shebang
line).  The version is usually part of the output name, so maybe it
would make sense to mention the ‘version’ field explicitly.

~~ Ricardo