guix-devel

Supporting non-GRUB bootloaders?

From: Jookia
Subject: Supporting non-GRUB bootloaders?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 09:27:36 +1100

Hi there,

I'm interested to know how hard it'd be to support a non-GRUB bootloader, such
as u-boot. On NixOS this is relatively easy, but I'm under the impression that
on Guix this is borderline impossible due to hard coding.

I'd like to do this:

* Copy initramfs and kernels to /boot.
* Write a extlinux.conf file for U-Boot to read.
* Not have GRUB installed or running.

How hard would this be? My motivation is that GRUB on ARM doesn't work on my
system (Novena) so the next best thing is to use U-Boot.

Thanks,
Jookia.