guix-devel

Re: Composing service definitions (and maybe fmt)

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Composing service definitions (and maybe fmt)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 14:18:02 -0800

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> So you’re suggesting to systematically have a high-level interface as
> well as a lower-level interface that gives access to the raw config
> file, right?
>
> The problem is that often, the service configuration does not to just
> one config file.  Often it also translates into command-line options,
> user accounts, etc.  For instance, ‘tor-service’ expects users to pass a
> raw config file, but it also needs to create a user account whose name
> is given in that config file, so it needs to control that part of the
> config file.
>
> That being said, it’s always possible to extend ‘etc-service-type’ and
> give it raw config files.
>
> Not offering any concrete solution but… does that make sense?  :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

It makes sense... I get the feeling that in order for us to really get a
sense of what to do right here, we're going to have to forge ahead and
maybe even get it a bit wrong, which is ok!

It could even be that the thing I really want to build has to be build
with an abstraction layer another layer up.  Not the worst thing!