guix-devel

Re: Qt-5 in core-updates

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Qt-5 in core-updates
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 10:25:20 +0100

address@hidden (宋文武) skribis:

> Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> qt-5 fails to build on both x86_64 and armhf in core-updates with the
>> following error:
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File
>> "/tmp/nix-build-qt-5.5.1.drv-0/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.5.1/qtwebkit/Source/WebKit2/Scripts/generate-messages-header.py",
>>  line 28, in <module>
>>     import webkit2.messages
>> EOFError: EOF read where object expected
>> Makefile.WebKit2.DerivedSources:881: recipe for target
>> 'generated/PluginProxyMessages.h' failed
>> make[3]: *** [generated/PluginProxyMessages.h] Error 1
>>
>> Surprisingly, it succeeds on i686 (and its build is disabled on mips).
>>
> This seems like a parallel build issue after I find that,
> Writing a pyc file is not atomic in python:
>
>   <https://bugs.python.org/issue13146>

Ouch.

> It was fixed in Python 3.3+, but not in Python 2.7.x (the one for
> building WebKit).
>
> I think we can try:
>  - Patch our python-2.7.x like Ubuntu does.
>
> <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/python2.7_2.7.10-4ubuntu1.diff.gz>

Best if we can avoid it for now since that would further delay the merge
of ‘core-updates’.

>  - Patch the build phases of qt and webkitgtk to pre-generate *.pyc
>    files before the actually building.

If that’s simple enough, we could add a phase that run “make
whatever-target-it-is”, indeed.

>    Or disable parallel build completely.

Sounds like the easiest thing to do.  Not sure how long it would take to
build Qt, though.

>  - Restart the builds on hydra, hope it will pass.

I think we should avoid that.

Andreas, are you on it?

Ludo’.