guix-devel

Re: torsocks 2.0 bug

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: torsocks 2.0 bug
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 13:28:09 +0200

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 11:45:59 +0100
address@hidden wrote:

> Hi
>
> I found after reconfiguring my system lately that the update to torsocks
> 2.0 broke this:
>
> $ torsocks icecat
>
> Which I use all the time.
>
> I tested with the former 2-3 versions of Icecat in my store and they all
> fail silently. Passing debug options does not give a clue to whats
> wrong.

What type of things don't work? That update was about 2.5 months ago, did you
do all the normal things like rebooting after reconfiguring?

> I tested torsocks 2.0 with youtube-dl and lynx and both work.
>
> I would like to patch tor.scm to have the option of installing an
> earlier version of torsocks but dont know hot to check out the old
> version.
>
> cheers swedebugia

here's the patch that updated torsocks. (attached)

to have your own, custom torsocks from the previous version, you could add a
file torsocks.scm, and build it with `guix build -f torsocks.scm`

#:use-module ...

(define-public torsocks-custom  <-- I'm not sure if this line is necessary here
  (package (inherit torsocks)
    (name "torsocks-custom")
    (version "1.2")
      (source (origin
                (method url-fetch)
                (uri (string-append
"http://torsocks.googlecode.com/files/torsocks-";
                                   version ".tar.gz"))
               (sha256
                (base32
                 "1m0is5q24sf7jjlkl0icfkdc0m53nbkg0q72s57p48yp4hv7v9dy"))))
    (arguments '())
    (native-inputs '(()))))

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר