guix-devel

Unprivileged power managing in GuixSD: dbus-send not working

From: swedebugia
Subject: Unprivileged power managing in GuixSD: dbus-send not working
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 16:55:27 +0100

Hi

I'm using GuixSD with xfce recently pulled, reconfigured and restarted.

I have found that power managing dbus-send commands (from http://andrusiv.com/blog/2011/12/12/shutdown-dbus.html) does not work at all, eg:

$ dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files

or

$ dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=org.freedesktop.UPower /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Suspend" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.UPower" doesn't exist

Is this because dbus / polkit is currently misconfigured?

Is there anything I can do about it? I'm guessing the incapability of the xfce power menu to function is related to this.

cheers
sdb