guix-devel

Re: proposal for more options in gnu/services/networking.scm for blockli

From: Nils Gillmann
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 20:30:35 +0100

> Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> A first version for google I just came up with starts like the attached
>> code.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I would use it!  (Although I use Tor + Privoxy for most of my web
> browsing, so I would also need the black list there.)
>
> The only downside I see it having to maintain it.  Do you know if anyone
> maintains a list of these hosts somewhere?  If yes, we should put the
> URL as a comment and have a somewhat streamlined process to update the
> list.

There are many lists out there which are not limited to google.
The downside I see with this is external authorities and the trust you
have to put into them, plus unnecessary downloads.
If it should be moved into a file, I would put it into the Guix system
source. (-> maybe mirrors of those listed below?)
I could try and see if I can find a blacklist which is not very long and
does not need extensive checking.

> If there’s no publicly-maintained list of hosts, I think we won’t go
> beyond Google, because that would easily become unmaintained, and people
> would be disappointed to get an incomplete/outdated host list.
>
> What do people think?

Ublock Origin uses the following sources:
https://easylist.adblockplus.org/en/policy#easylist
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/policy.php
http://www.malwaredomainlist.com
http://www.malwaredomains.com
https://github.com/gorhil/uBlock/tree/master/assets/ublock

Pro: Other people and collections of people maintain these lists. less
work for us
Pro: widely accepted and maintained

Con: see section above (other authorities, traffic)

>> PS: For consistency with code and mailinglist I will use my legal name
>> now (etc, long reasoning and positions and pro/contra could follow but I
>> won't do this here)
>
> Your call!
>
>> (define %ads-google-host-aliases
>>   ;; This is a list of known google services excluding google.com
>
> [...]
>
>> 127.0.0.1 mimageads*.googleadservices.com
>> 127.0.0.1 mpartner.googleadservices.com
>> 127.0.0.1 pagead*.googlesyndication.com
>
> Wildcards are not permitted here.

Ah, good to know, thanks.

>> fe80::1%lo0affiliate.googleusercontent.com
>
> Missing space.
>
>> fe80::1%lo0 mimageads*.googleadservices.com
>> fe80::1%lo0 mpartner.googleadservices.com
>> fe80::1%lo0 pagead*.googlesyndication.com
>
> Wildcards.
>
> Would you like to turn this into a patch?  See
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html>
> (not everything is applicable here, though.)
>
> Note that the manual also needs to be updated;
> ‘%ads-google-host-aliases’ can be documented just below
> ‘%facebook-host-aliases’.

I was thinking of turning it into an patch once a discussion about this
has come to an conclusion.

> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

ng