guix-devel

Re: proposal for more options in gnu/services/networking.scm for blockli

From: Ludovic Courtès
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 17:54:46 +0100

Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> A first version for google I just came up with starts like the attached
>>> code.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> I would use it!  (Although I use Tor + Privoxy for most of my web
>> browsing, so I would also need the black list there.)
>>
>> The only downside I see it having to maintain it.  Do you know if anyone
>> maintains a list of these hosts somewhere?  If yes, we should put the
>> URL as a comment and have a somewhat streamlined process to update the
>> list.
>
> There are many lists out there which are not limited to google.
> The downside I see with this is external authorities and the trust you
> have to put into them, plus unnecessary downloads.
> If it should be moved into a file, I would put it into the Guix system
> source. (-> maybe mirrors of those listed below?)
> I could try and see if I can find a blacklist which is not very long and
> does not need extensive checking.

OK.

>> If there’s no publicly-maintained list of hosts, I think we won’t go
>> beyond Google, because that would easily become unmaintained, and people
>> would be disappointed to get an incomplete/outdated host list.
>>
>> What do people think?
>
> Ublock Origin uses the following sources:
> https://easylist.adblockplus.org/en/policy#easylist
> http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/policy.php
> http://www.malwaredomainlist.com
> http://www.malwaredomains.com
> https://github.com/gorhil/uBlock/tree/master/assets/ublock
>
> Pro: Other people and collections of people maintain these lists. less
> work for us
> Pro: widely accepted and maintained
>
> Con: see section above (other authorities, traffic)

Yeah.  OTOH I don’t see us (Guix) claim maintenance of such lists.

Another option would be for you to publish such lists, signed and
versioned, on a hosting site you have access to?  The advantage would be
less churn in Guix proper, and the responsibility would be moved to you
(or the collective that maintains the list) rather than Guix.  We could
refer to it in the manual.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.