guix-devel

Re: bug#22571: Guix on Debian Testing sbcl package needs warning to set

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: bug#22571: Guix on Debian Testing sbcl package needs warning to set SBCL_HOME
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 13:43:28 +0100

Christopher W Carpenter <address@hidden> writes:

>> Christopher W Carpenter <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> When doing guix package -i sbcl on my newly setup debian testing + guix
>>> machine and then attempting to run sbcl I got the error:
>>>
>>> fatal error encountered in SBCL pid 7492(tid 140737354086144):
>>> can't find core file at /usr/lib64/sbcl/sbcl.core
>>
>> Are you sure you were running ~/.guix-profile/bin/sbcl?
>>
>> I’ve just tried this on GuixSD, to check whether sbcl systematically
>> looks for things in /usr:
>>
>> $ strace -f -o ,,s $(guix build sbcl | head -1)/bin/sbcl
>> This is SBCL 1.2.8, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
>> More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.
>>
>> SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
>> It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
>> BSD-style licenses.  See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
>> distribution for more information.
>> * (+ 2 3)
>>
>> 5
>> *
>> $ grep /usr ,,s
>> [ nothing ]
>>
>> However, it loads /etc/sbclrc.  Could it be that your host distro
>> provides such a file, which tweaks sbcl into reading from /usr/lib64?
>>
>> Thanks for the report,
>> Ludo’.
>
> Hey Ludo,
>
> Yes, i was definitely running ~/.guix-profile/bin/sbcl. Not only did I
> not have any other sbcl installed, but the guix version (1.2.8) differs
> From the debian testing version (1.3.1) and I verified that the correct
> version was running.
>
> I also have no /etc/sbclrc for the same reason.
>
> I haven't used guix long but from what I can tell there are a lot of
> issues similar to this that only seem to affect non-GuixSD systems.
>
> It appears this problem does not occur if I build sbcl myself rather
> than using the substitute from hydra. I am attempting to verify this,
> as that seems very weird/impossible.
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Carpenter

Do you have the SBCL_HOME environment variable set while running SBCL?
If so, make sure it's correct, or simply unset it.  (It *should* work
when it's unset.)

I can't reproduce the issue using SBCL 1.2.8 from Hydra, i.e.:

    /gnu/store/2vlqnaj650nr4hv5iq19xf402vc2l60l-sbcl-1.2.8/

I don't have SBCL_HOME set, have no /etc/sbclrc, and have no other
installation of SBCL on my system; when I run .../bin/sbcl from the
above package, it fires up the REPL just fine.  I can also install it
into my profile and run ~/.guix-profile/bin/sbcl.

I also reproduced Ludo's test and similarly had no output from grep.

For the record, someone had raised a similar issue before, and it came
out they had SBCL_HOME set to a wrong value:

    https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2015-11-19#T820295

So either it's that, or something else unusual might be going on in your
system...

To make absolutely sure SBCL_HOME is unset before starting up SBCL, you
can run the command "unset SBCL_HOME" in your shell, and run "sbcl" in
the same shell session right after that.

Hope that helps!
Taylan