guix-devel

Re: GSoC ideas

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: GSoC ideas
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 21:43:50 +0100

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 11:47:31AM -0800, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> So, I talked about this with Stefano Zacchiroli while at FOSDEM.  He
> suggested that we could do /opt/g/ or something like that and we *could*
> get Guix in as a package manager to Debian.  Sure, it wouldn't be able
> to use the Hydra packages, but it's probably okayish.

Unless users get binaries they won't be happy.

> We could also build apt / rpm packages which we just provide ourselves,
> on the Guix website, or by providing some PPA'ish thing.  I would have
> preferred this myself when I started running Debian on Guix... and in
> this route we could keep everything as it already is.  (But people will
> have to take an extra step to "get to" those nice packages.)

That looks like the way forward to me. Such a package can setup and
start the daemon - which is enough. No need to get the blessing from
the distributions themselves (will take time, but it will come - there
really is no difference with allowing foreign packages to work anyway).

Pj.