guix-devel

Re: PulseAudio

From: Jookia
Subject: Re: PulseAudio
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:36:20 +1100

On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 01:26:32PM -0800, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>
> > Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:
> >
> >> I guess the factors are:
> >> 1) Does GuixSD have a default audio setup that we should target? If
> >> GuixSD uses PulseAudio, then I think it would be good for eSpeak to be
> >> integrated into that sytem.
> >> 2) Does this package, which launches PulseAudio, work for anyone on a
> >> foreign distro?
> >
> > It’s not written anywhere, but I think most of our audio packages target
> > PulseAudio (that’s what I use on GuixSD.)  I’m in favor of consistently
> > using it, and it would probably be best to write it down in the manual.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Ludo’.
>
> I'd really like it if we just agreed that in general, yeah, we want
> Pulseaudio support.  I used to spend all sorts of time fighting my audio
> setup, being careful on what application opened first so I could be sure
> which one grabbed control of Alsa.  I hadn't had this problem in a few
> years, and it was so nice not to worry about it, but on Guix I've had
> some times where I have again... eg playing audio/video in Icecat
> seems not to use it for whatever reason, and it's a bummer, because then
> I have to be careful about when I start rhythmbox or whatever.

> I'd love to mostly not worry/think about audio issues again!

Going to chime in here: While I don't like PulseAudio, it's a requirement for
working audio on the Novena which I plan to run GuixSD on. Something something
necessary evil. That said, if there's a big rebuild planned there is a
PulseAudio patch I needed to make for NixOS to get things working right. I'm
still tinkering with early boot issues in GuixSD so I'm not that far in the
stack to test it, but if anyone's curious I'll attach the NixOS patch here.

Jookia.