guix-devel

Re: Installing Guix on foreign distros

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Installing Guix on foreign distros
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:42:55 +0100

Tomáš Čech <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 11:36:24AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>There are already people who wrote Arch/Parabola and RPM (openSuSE)
>>packages, AFAIK.  I’m not sure what the status is?
>
> For openSUSE ecosystem I maintain package in system:packagemanagers
> project of our Open Build Service. It means it doesn't live in the
> main package repository but it is easy to install.
>

> https://software.opensuse.org/download/package?project=system:packagemanager&package=guix
>
> I'm trying to push that to the main distribution but for that the
> package may need some more work because I need to get rid of foreign
> binaries (the ones in
> $PREFIX/share/guile/site/2.0/gnu/packages/bootstrap/). So `zypper in
> guix' for all openSUSE users is still my goal.

The bootstrap binaries form the roots of the dependency graph.
Modifying them results in different hashes for all packages.  I learned
this when a colleague accidentally modified these files in our
deployment, which made Guix refuse all of the substitutes from Hydra and
instead rebuilt the world locally.

I don’t think you can realistically get rid of them.

~~ Ricardo