guix-devel

Re: GSoC ideas

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: GSoC ideas
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 18:11:33 -0800

Pjotr Prins writes:

>> > That would be useful, and CheckInstall may be good enough for that.  I
>> > don’t think it’s “enough” for GSoC, though.  WDYT?
>>
>> If the student was really to package Guix for many distributions, it
>> might be enough.  Especially if that student was to explore packaging
>> with upstream.  Anyway, the payout could be *huge*.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that GSoC is about programming. So, we
> have to be clear about that in the proposal.
>
>> If they finish early, I'm sure we could find other things for them to
>> do?  :)
>
> Better to put a secondary job in - such as improving the web-ui or
> creating a tool for importing deb packages, or something. Students
> will come if they think the job challenging/interesting enough.
>
> Pj.

So, while we're on the topic of hopes and dreams that I might
*personally* love to see solved through GSoC, but maybe people will be
like "That's not enough of a GSoC programming project"....

npm packaging and importer.  Even better: enough npm packaging and
importing to where we package pump.io :)

It might not be the most fun GSoC project though?