guix-devel

Re: The tricky case of "--localstatedir=/var"

From: Jookia
Subject: Re: The tricky case of "--localstatedir=/var"
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 05:00:19 +1100

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 05:50:31PM +0000, Chris Marusich wrote:
> I see. Please indulge my curiosity. You said that you "compile Guix from
> source instead of using the official
> binaries, then install Guix so it's managed by Guix." Do you do this on
> GuixSD, or on a foreign distribution? Do you mean that you first compile
> and install Guix somewhere on your system, and then run "guix package -i
> guix" to install the Guix package into the Guix store? Assuming that's what
> you do, which guix-daemon winds up running - the one you installed
> originally, or the one you installed into the store? I understand why it's
> nice to have the Guix package so that you can easily work with its
> dependencies, but isn't "guix pull" the recommended way to keep your Guix
> installation up to date?

This is installing on a foreign distribution, though the issue also happens to
those on GuixSD. I can use either the daemon I built or the daemon I have in the
store, I have to start them manually on my distribution. 'guix pull' is the
recommended way to keep your Guix installation up to date, but it's kind of
weird having Guix not be self-contained in the sense of its dependencies.

Jookia.