guix-devel

Re: Needs new category/file: Reverse Engineering Software

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Needs new category/file: Reverse Engineering Software
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 23:35:35 +0100

Hi Nils,

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 03:38:42PM +0100, Nils Gillmann wrote:

> As this doesn't do the job for me, I propose
> gnu/packages/disassembler.scm
> or
> gnu/packages/re.scm
> or
> gnu/packages/reverse-engineering.scm
> as it specifies an existing category of software and is not just
> another debugger.

the first and the last of these are fine; I would avoid "re" as it is not
a word, and it is not clear at all what it is supposed to represent.

> Reverse engineering typically makes use of Debuggers,
> Disassemblers, Hex Editors and PE and Resource Viewers. A
> new category could be used to cut down on category files maybe
> get some existing, non-specific software into the new created
> category.

Do I understand correctly that you wish to move existing software into
the new module (=file)? Why not if you do the work :-)
Moving packages around is somewhat boring work and needs to be done
carefully, since all the "use-module" clauses in files where the package
is used need to be adapted.

Andreas