guix-devel

Re: Desktop variables and caches

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Desktop variables and caches
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 00:52:37 -0500

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 03:51:09PM +0100, Fabian Harfert wrote:
> Hi!
>
> While working on and testing my MATE packages I noticed the following
> things:
>
> I already mentioned this before, but it belongs here, too: Gtk+ needs
> the environment variable GTK_DATA_PREFIX defined to the user profile
> directory to find themes.
>
> For GdkPixbuf it's necessary to define GDK_PIXBUF_MODULEDIR to the
> sub-directory lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders of the users profile to
> make it finding loader modules like the one provided by librsvg for
> SVG support. In addition the command 'gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders' needs
> to be called to cache the different loaders. For that the variable
> GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE has to contain the cache file
> (lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache). That must be done when the
> profile is built.
>
> To allow GLib GSettings to find it's compiled settings schemas the
> command 'glib-compile-schemas' with the share/glib-2.0/schemas
> directory needs to be called when the profile is built.
>
> The last two points result in the fact, that each package using
> extensions to GdkPixbuf or GSettings schemas from other packages needs
> to propagate them (e.g. librsvg or gsettings-desktop-schemas).
>
> We also need to define the XDG_CONFIG_DIRS variable. It is used by
> several applications to find files in etc from other applications.
>
> Please note that I'm still not using the Guix system distribution, so I
> don't know if this also applies for that platform, but I think so.

Can you check if these variables are defined as search-paths anywhere?

I believe on GuixSD that the search path situation is a little smoother
than on foreign distros.

This thread may provide some insight on the situation:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-01/msg00764.html

What do you think?