guix-devel

Re: IMPORTANT: glibc security update

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: glibc security update
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 20:40:51 -0500

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 08:33:07AM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> I've pushed a fix for CVE-2015-7547 to the master branch, although Hydra
>> has not fully rebuilt it.  I directed Hydra to build the most popular
>> packages first, and with greater effort devoted to x86_64, so my hope is
>> that most of what typical desktop users need is already built on x86_64.
>> Still, it is likely that you'll need to compile some things locally.
>
> At least two users on #guix (including me) have found that `guix pull`
> is not fetching the latest snapshot. That is, the downloaded snapshot
> is of some commit before the CVE-2015-7547 patch was applied.
>
> Can you take a look?

Indeed, you are right.  The problem is that, by default, "guix pull"
downloads the latest source from:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/master.tar.gz

and unfortunately, something is currently broken on Savannah, and that
snapshot is stuck on the commit before the glibc security update :-(

Until that's fixed, here's a workaround:

$ git clone --depth 1 git://git.sv.gnu.org/guix.git master
Cloning into 'master'...
[...]
$ rm -rf master/.git
$ tar czf master.tar.gz master --sort=name address@hidden --{owner,group}=root:0