guix-devel

Re: Staying on top of Qt security

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Staying on top of Qt security
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 02:28:37 -0500

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 10:27:52AM -0800, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> Andreas Enge writes:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 02:53:40PM -0800, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> >> I'm assuming this was directed at me (though I don't work on Pumpa, but
> >> I could ask the author things... I do *use* it every day though).  What
> >> am I being asked here... I'm not sure?  Whether Pumpa could be updated
> >> to QT 5?
> >
> > I think so :-)
> >
> > The alternative question would have been whether we could remove it,
> > but I already knew the answer...
> >
> > Andreas
>
> From Sazius:
>
>   Hi! Pumpa already works with Qt 5, I'm running it on Qt 5.3.2 in Debian
>   jessie myself. If you have any problems (e.g. with a newer version of
>   Qt) I would consider it a bug and try to fix it :-)
>
> So it looks like we just need to update the pacakge?

The blocker is the Pumpa dependency QJson, which has a hard dependency
on Qt-4. QJson is also used by libdbusmenu-qt.

Apparently QJson's master branch has supported Qt-5 for some time, so I
asked the maintainers if that is true, and if they plan to issue a new
release [0]. We could try packaging from git.

[0]
https://github.com/flavio/qjson/issues/49