guix-devel

/gnu/store/ corruption on crash

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: /gnu/store/ corruption on crash
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 22:11:25 +0100

Hi,

I've got a problem on an X200 where, after I did standby 3 times, it will wake
up fine but at the first larger disk access hang the machine.

This E-Mail is not directly about that problem.

However, this time, guix did package install when that happened and now
/gnu/store/ is corrupted.

/gnu/store/7k7wicjr8rpb65h2f33j8ibpmffwjp6d-fontconfig-2.11.94.tar.bz2.drv now
has 0 Byte.

Should it be possible for that to happen?

UNIX journalling filesystems in general only provide guarantees for filesystem
metadata, not file content. Is this taken into account? (f.e. don't overwrite
existing file but rather create new file, rename atomically; is fsync done when
important?)