guix-devel

Re: Python and propagation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Python and propagation
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 23:09:38 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> As a Python library it depends on numpy, and thus propagates numpy as
> it is customary in Guix.  This is necessary because Python libraries
> do not have a RUNPATH feature

Does the newfangled “wheels” thing support something like a RUNPATH?

> 1) print a warning when a collision is expected to happen, not when a
> collision has happened.

Sounds like a good idea, indeed.

The file-by-file warnings may still be useful in other cases though, for
example when different packages genuinely provide same-named files.

> 2) avoid PYTHONPATH, patch all Python files invasively!

Sounds like an interesting option.  :-)  There are open issues though,
as you and others note (‘import’ can overridden!).

(This reminds me that, since Guile 2.2 uses ELF, it should be made to
honor RUNPATH!)

Ludo’.