guix-devel

Re: Installing headers to a separate output?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Installing headers to a separate output?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 23:05:33 +0200

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 21:32:22 +0100
Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Guix,
>
> should we install headers to separate outputs as we do it in some cases
> for really large documentation?  It seems wrong to me to download
> substitutes for libraries when at build time only certain headers are
> needed.
>
> Other distributions have separate “*-devel” or “*-dev” packages (and I’m
> ambivalent about this) — would it be a bad idea if we provided “devel”
> or “dev” *outputs* so that users had more control over what ends up in
> their store?
>
> I’m not writing this because I’m annoyed by the current behaviour — I’m
> just curious.
>
> ~~ Ricardo

I thought a bit about it before and I don't really think it'll save that much
space. Most of the time the headers are a small part of the total package,
and the fine-tuning that comes with chosing exactly which outputs from a
build process you actually want seem like they should be left as
encouragement for people to hack their systems.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר