guix-devel

Re: Texlive-texmf

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: Texlive-texmf
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 19:07:23 -0500

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Andreas Enge <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to make the texlive-texmf package private, to avoid that people
> erroneously install it into their profiles. One could still build the big
> data part locally as follows:
>
> guix build texlive-bin  # This will use substitutes.
> guix build --no-substitutes texlive
> # This will build texlive-texmf locally, then create texlive, which consists
> # mainly of symlinks to texlive-texmf.
>
> Does anybody see a problem with this?
>
> This should not even rebuild anything.

I install texlive-texmf into my profile because otherwise latex cannot
find any extensions.  In particular, I was trying to compile a beamer
document and I spent hours wrestling with load paths and nothing
worked until texlive-texmf was available in my profile.  How can we
make this just work so that I don't have to import the private
variable in the future?

- Dave