guix-devel

Re: Bootstrap binaries

From: Jookia
Subject: Re: Bootstrap binaries
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 21:51:35 +1100

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:19:04AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I prefer to change those binaries as rarely as possible.  Intuitively
> (and unscientifically), it gives more confidence to keep using the same
> old binaries wrt. Ken Thompson attacks.

I'm not sure about that, if we could establish the binaries could be
reproducibly built using the current bootstrap binaries it sounds like it could
be fine. Having reproducible bootstrap binaries seems like something incredibly
useful especially for packagers that for whatever reason want to verify that the
binaries can be built with Guix before signing them.

> Ludo’.

Jookia.