guix-devel

Re: What would a Maven build system be like?

From: BCG
Subject: Re: What would a Maven build system be like?
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 12:09:21 -0500

On 02/29/2016 11:14 AM, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

Since not every application uses Maven (or even the same version of
Maven), and I cannot yet be certain that the directory layout remains
the same across different versions of Maven, I think it would be best to
generate this dynamically rather than change the prefix for Java
libraries to “$out/maven-repo/” and then place the jars at the leaves of
this structure.

FWIW - I've been using Maven for 10 years and I can't recall the repository layout ever changing since Maven 2 was released, although I could be wrong about that.

One thing you may want to look at is the "maven-ant-tasks" Ant plugin here:

https://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks/

This allows you to take artifacts built outside of Maven and install them into a Maven repository layout. The Maven repository layout is the defacto standard these days for all major Java build systems these days, so create a folder structure with that layout for Guix might be a great choice.

Other Java dependency managers support Maven repositories as well, including Apache Ivy (http://ant.apache.org/ivy/) and Gradle (http://gradle.org/why/robust-dependency-management/).

As a Java developer, my gut tells me that it is worth exploring putting Guix's Java packages get put into a Maven repository layout by default... Maven is notoriously difficult to bend to your will otherwise :)

-- Ben