guix-devel

Re: fonts.scm -> packaging "un-fonts", download isses

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: fonts.scm -> packaging "un-fonts", download isses
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 12:53:39 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Upstream[1] says this about the license:
>>>
>>>   2 저작권
>>>
>>>   은글꼴의 저작권은 GPL + (문서/이미지에 대한)embed 예외 조항이 포함되어
>>>   은글꼴을 사용한 출판 및 디자인에 대해 상업용,비상업용 목적으로
>>>   사용하는 데에 아무런 문제가 없습니다.
>>>
>>> [1]: http://kldp.net/projects/unfonts
>>>
>>> If I understand correctly, this means that the fonts are released under
>>> GPL + embed exception (for documents / images).  README.Debian seems to
>>> be outdated.  The upstream note is from 2012/12/29.
>>>
>>> ~~ Ricardo
>>>

>> Oh, that's good news, thanks.
>> As (license:) for the package, is it still gpl2 or is this GPL +
>> something I could find in fonts.scm ?
>
> I did not see any restriction to a particular version of the GPL, but I
> didn’t look very carefully.  If no particular version is mentioned you
> can just use “gpl3+” (because “GPL” means “any version of the GPL”).
> Add the embed exception in a comment above the license field.
>
> I do suggest you check the sources once more, though.  Just grep for
> “GPL” and see if they mention the GPL version.
>
> ~~ Ricardo

cat COPYING:

  GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
                       Version 2, June 1991

 Copyright (C) 1989, 1991 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
     59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
 Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
 of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.
(etc)

quote from the COPYING delivered with the latest packaged
version available. They might have changed the website, but they
did not update the package.
What counts for us is what we deliver, therefore the version
packaged, therefore GPL2 with no exception.

wdyt?
--
ng
irc://loupsycedyglgamf.onion:67/~NiAsterisk