guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix diagram

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: GNU Guix diagram
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 12:52:28 -0500

Amirouche Boubekki <address@hidden> writes:

> Le 2016-03-04 04:31, myglc2 a écrit :
>> Upon installing GuixSD a month ago I found it difficult to get a
>> grip on
>> GNU Guix' stucture. Because I like pictures I made a diagram showing
>> what I think I now understand about how GNU Guix' works. I am thinking
>> it might be helpful to Guix newcomers. Comments &/or corrections would
>> be most welcome. - George
>
> This kind of incorrect because there is a directory which stores every
> installed (or past installed) software which is linked inside profiles
> (system, users, and custom profiles).

Thanks. I agree that generations are a key feature of guix. But they
seem secondary to showing where guix packages are, how they are
referenced, and how to install & update them. I also chose not to show
generations because the diagram is at the limit of complexity that can
be reasonably digested. Generations might be the subject of another
diagram

> Users can't install program in the system profile, it can only be done
> through system config.scm.

Thanks. I tried to suggest this by using a different color for system
components and showing 'sudo' for system operations. Can you suggest a
better way to handle it?